Lang Foundation Gallery Opens
The latest addition to the Axel Stenross Maritime Museum opened on Saturday 25th July 2020.
Lang Foundation’s generous donation
The Gallery was built using a generous donation from the Lang Foundation. The Foundation is well known to Port Lincoln through it’s involvement with preserving the heritage of Matthew Flinders, who in 1802 charted these waters. Roger Lang, the Founder of the Foundation, has given much support to the Museum over several years. He officially opened the gallery.
New gallery features Jack McFarlane boats
The gallery opened with a display of wooden boats built by Jack McFarlane, who is an integral part of our wooden boat building history. Jack established his boat building business on this site in 1930. Axel Stenross took over the lease in 1939 and operated his slipway and wooden boat building business here until his death in 1980.
Restored Vici holds pride of place in the gallery
Vici is the latest restoration project completed by the Museum volunteers, led by Rob Haldane. Jack McFarlane built her in 1936 as a cargo lighter for the South Australian trading ketch fleet. The Vici subsequently became a fishing boat, a transport for Splisby Island and eventually the official Start Boat for the Port Lincoln Yacht Club.
Model of STS One and All donated to the Museum too
The celebration continued when South Australian sailing legend Ric Mollinson and wife Diane donated a 1:40 scale model of the Sail Training Ship One and All to the Museum. In his presentation, Ric said that he could not imagine a better home for this beautiful model than the Axel Stenross Maritime Museum, where the public could enjoy it as much as his family had.